Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 11 - A nondescript day

A really uneventful day today. The weather reached the 80's so I tried to spend as much time outside as possible. I went running with Dr. Sohonage and Dr. Bornstein over lunch. We went all the way to the top of the Salmon Creek Dam which was about a 7 mile round-trip. The residents and dental assistants know that Dr. Sohonage and Dr. Bornstein talk about office related stuff during the runs so they all run to me for any good gossip as soon as I come back.

Early this morning I went to the OB clinic to scout the area and see where the best place to conduct my survey would be. Chris, a dental health aide therapist for SEARHC, works in the OB clinic so knowing her should make the patients less hesitant to speak to me. Also, my friend Patricia from orientation is a nurse in the OB clinic so I will get to see her at least once a week. The rest of my day was pretty relaxing and uneventful. I spent the afternoon outside listening to the Cardinals game on the radio - it was too nice of a day to spend in a clinic office.

Tonight I went to dinner with the residents - Anne and Ryan. They have both been really good friends to me and I enjoy hearing their stories about residency and dental school. We went to a Thai restaurant right near the UAS campus that was really good. It was probably the best dinner I've had since I've been in Juneau - and definitely a place I will be writing about again.

Tomorrow I am going to a conference on Motivational Interviewing which is a method of patient communication that we are considering using for the distribution of our patient education material. I will write more about it tomorrow.

Off to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment