Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 13 - Thane, BBQ, and Bonfire

The weather this week has been absolutely incredible. It has been in the high seventies and eighties all week, and I don't think I've seen a cloud in quite some time. I woke up and had a picnic right outside of my dorm room today. I brought my computer outside and watched the Cardinals game while soaking up the sun - no better way to start a Memorial Day weekend.

In the afternoon I went hiking with Dr. Dee and Lexi. Lexi is a dental health aide therapist so it is interesting to hear her approach to dentistry and her patients as compared to Dr. Dee who went the traditional dental school route. The three of us went past downtown Juneau to an area of the city called Thane. Thane is a small little town with hiking trails and residential homes. We took a nice, flat 2 mile walk through the woods to a small beach. You could see the Gastineau Channel during the entire walk. The beach was great - small, private, and sunny. I never thought that I would spend an afternoon suntanning in Juneau, AK.

After the hike, Dr. Dee and I went over to Dr. Marcott's home on Douglas Island. We grilled steaks and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Dr. Marcott lives right next door to Dr. Sohonage, and he too was having a party with some of the people I work with. Eventually the parties combined and we enjoyed each others company long into the night. Once the sun went down, we went down to the beach and built a giant bonfire. It was great sitting on the beach and watching the tide slowly creep back in. The night was so clear that we even saw faint streaks of the Northern Lights. At last, the tide came in and washed away our fire which meant the party was over and it was time to go home.

Tomorrow I am going to Boy Scout Beach with a large group of people I work with. Hopefully the weather is as nice tomorrow as it was today...

No comments:

Post a Comment