Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 53 - The sun

Funny story today. The weather today was beautiful. The clouds finally cleared up and the sky was a clear blue all day. The temperature was also perfect, right around 70 degrees all day long. And no, the funny story is not that I actually had a chance to see the sun in the middle of July. I was on the bus ride home and the bus passed by the bank where an electronic clock flashed the time and the temperature. When the temperature flashed it read, "96 degrees". The women next to me shouted, "96? Man, I knew it was hot today!" Only in Juneau, AK could a 70 degree day suddenly turn into a 96 degree day.

I worked very hard today to finish my telephone survey report. I am very proud of my efforts and excited to share my findings at the staff meeting on Tuesday. After I present to the staff, I will post my report on the blog so that everyone can get an idea of what kinds of issues I have been dealing with. It was fun to see my work culminate in a meaningful report that will serve this organization well into the future. Essentially, I am combining the voices of 100+ patients into one giant statement that will give dentists at staff at SEARHC a unique look into the mindset of their patient base.

At one point today Dr. Hort looked over and saw how hard I was working to make sure that no patient voice went unheard and that no suggestion or recommendation went unexplained. She reminded me that I wasn't getting a grade on the project and that it did not have to be perfect. Apparently, she has never seen me critique myself. Even without the motivation of a grade, I want to give my best effort and give back to the dentists and staff who have given so much to me over the past two months. I also spent a lot of time continuing to compile information for my patient education material. Tomorrow I will be outlining the patient education material and creating a rough layout of everything to present to Dr. Bornstein on Monday.

Because of the poor weather, I have been a bit lazy the last few weeks so it was nice to wear shorts and go running again today. I'm going to enjoy running in the 70 degree weather for the next week and a half because I will soon be confined to a treadmill by the heat and humidity in St. Louis.

Tomorrow I am also taking the morning off to go dog sledding. Unlike my failed expedition in Skagway, the weather is supposed to be nice so I should definitely get off the ground on onto the glacier. Check back for what I'm sure will be some pretty cool pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment