Thursday, July 15, 2010

Days 58 and 59 - Silverbow, Monday Funday, and Xylitol

The last two nights have been busy and hectic so I haven't had a chance to write at all. Tuesday, I went with some members of the dental staff to dinner at the Silverbow. On Tuesday and Wednesday nights, the Silverbow shows a movie for free so a few members of the staff are regulars. This week, "Invictus" was the free movie. I had yet to see it, so I figured it was a good week to go. We all met up after work - ate, played cards, and watched the movie. On Wednesday, I went over to Rachel's house for a BBQ. Every Monday, Rachel and a few other dental assistants go over to her house for a huge BBQ and night out together. It is usually on Monday (hence, Monday Funday) but this week we had it on Wednesday. We grilled and just hung out. I like the nights where I can just hang out on a couch and play video games or watch TV. The little things you take for granted when I am at home are the things I miss the most.

One of the coolest things about my summer experience has been interacting with all of the different members of the dental team. Very few are actually from Alaska, so if you walk around the office most parts of the United States (and some of South America and Europe) are represented. At no other place would people with such varied and diverse backgrounds make such a strong effort to get along and spend time together. Everyone is intrigued by each others backgrounds and stories. Very neat.

On the clinic side of things, I have really started to wrap things up. The big project for this week was to get the vending machine up and running. I stocked all of the products, made price labels, and set the prices electronically. I also took change and loaded it into the appropriate slots. I know more about vending machines then I ever wanted to know. Also, there is a Xylitol brochure and poster that will sit next to the vending machine to provide patients more information. I am hoping that the vending machine is a success because there are 6 vending machines currently sitting in storage waiting to be shipped to other clinics.

Hard to believe I proposed an idea 6 months ago and now that idea has become a reality. It hasn't been easy - I've worked hard, traveled a lot, and had to adjust the outcome of the project slightly - but, in the end, it has been such an incredible experience. Tomorrow is my last day at the clinic. We are having a BBQ luncheon for my last day and I will have to say goodbye to a few members of the staff. Can't wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment