Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 60 - Retirement

Today, after nearly 9 weeks on the job, I announced my retirement from SEARHC Dental. In January I blindly googled "Alaskan dentistry", and sent off emails to various organizations, private practice dentists, and public health clinics. Lucky for me, Dr. Tom Bornstein was the first to respond and give me an opportunity to develop a project with SEARHC. Over the past 9 weeks I have seen and accomplished so much.

I traveled to Hoonah, Haines, Sitka, and Skagway. I traveled by car, bus, plane, ferry, boat, and bike. I saw small Alaskan villages and large tourist destinations. I met people from all over the United States - each with a unique story and perspective. I saw and did many things. I walked on a glacier, rode on a dog sled, flew above mountains ridges in a helicopter, and hiked for hours.

From the clinic side of things, I also feel like I accomplished a lot. I developed two surveys that will hopefully improve the patient experience at SEARHC in the future. One survey, administered via telephone, was to address the high missed appointment rate in the clinic. The other, administered in waiting rooms all over Southeast Alaska, was meant to survey patients on new patient education material. I also found time to work with Dr. Hort to stock a vending machine with Xylitol products and do many other exciting things at the clinic. Beyond all of this, I found time to meet new people and see things from a different perspective.

What an amazing experience - one that will certainly take some time to soak in. Throughout the course of the weekend I will work on one final summary post but, for now, there are too many emotions and too many thoughts running through my head for me to capture the meaning of my summer project experience in a clear and concise way.

I still have a few more days in Alaska to get in some final sightseeing and souvenir shopping. Almost home...

No comments:

Post a Comment