Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 20 - Rain

Today was the first day since I've been in Juneau that the rain actually hindered my ability to go outside. If the weather stays sunny and warm the people I work with may not allow me to leave for fear that I may take the good weather with me.

I have been sick with a cold for the past few days. The drastic change in temperature each day has really messed with my system. It's cold and rainy in the morning, warm in the afternoon, and then cold again in the evening. Add in the constant sunlight and my body must be completely confused. It was nice to spend a day today to just relax. No running, no hiking - nothing strenuous at all. The Cardinals played this afternoon so that was another excuse to not go outside in the rain.

Tonight I went over to Dr. Wilkinson's house for dinner. Dr. Wilkinson and his wife, Cheryl, live right on Auke Bay which is about a three minute walk from my dorm at UAS. They live in Juneau about 8 months out of the year and spend the other 4 months on their two ranches - one in Colorado and one in Texas. If you get Dr. Wilkinson started on horses prepare yourself for a two hour monologue and picture slideshow of every horse he has ever seen or ridden. Needless to say, he is extremely passionate.

We had prime rib and potatoes for dinner. It's always great to have a home-cooked meal every once in a while. Between college and my summer project I haven't been home very much since August, so any time I get to spend in a family setting or in a house as opposed to a dorm is a nice treat. We played some card games late into the night before I headed back home. One of the amazing things about Juneau is how you can completely lose track of time. We were sitting playing cards and before we knew it it was about 11 PM. The sunlight gets confusing - not only in the morning, but also at night.

Tomorrow will be a busy day as I have to pack for my first trip. I'm off to sleep to hopefully get rid of this cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment