Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 45 - Sitka, AK wrap-up

A busy morning on my final day in Sitka. I woke up early, ate breakfast, and spent a few hours in the dental clinic saying goodbye to those who were so nice and accommodating during my few days in Sitka. I also got a bit of work done since I can now compile all of the data from OB interviews in Sitka. Tomorrow is my last full day of surveying and interviewing. It's been a fun and interesting few weeks, but I am definitely ready to move on and put all of my information and data to good use.

I caught the Community Ride to the ferry terminal and headed back to Juneau. The ferry was just pulling away as the Cardinals were batting in the bottom on the ninth inning, trailing by 2 runs. Matt Holliday has just singled, bringing the tying run to the plate when, suddenly, I lost cell service. I spent the entire 4 hour ferry ride on edge until my phone finally regained cell coverage a few miles from Juneau and I could check the final score.

Of my 45 days in Alaska, today was by far the worst weather I have experienced. When I left Sitka it was raining sideways, so I was relieved when the ferry docked in Juneau and the rain had slowed to a slight drizzle. Unfortunately, the temperature had also dropped to the mid 40's which is not something my body is used to on June 30th.

I got back to the dorm and ate before quickly crashing into bed. Some days I have no problems staying up until 10 or 11 PM, but days like today it is hard to stay up past 7:30 or 8 (even with the sun still shining brightly!). Traveling takes a lot out of you, so I am glad that I will be in Juneau for the duration. It will also be nice to spend some time on the UAS campus. Tonight will only be the 7th night I have spent in the dorm since June 1st. I think that speaks to the amount of exploring and traveling I have been able to do and how that traveling has made my experience in Alaska much more rich and diverse. This trip has been a real lesson in independence, commitment, and learning. I couldn't have asked for a better experience up to this point...

No comments:

Post a Comment