Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 31 - Sitka, AK Day 3/Moving back to UAS

Today was my last day in Sitka - well, at least for a couple of weeks. I woke up early and took advantage of the free breakfast from the diet office. Unfortunately, the weather was cold and rainy today so I had to scrap my sightseeing plan and instead went into the dental clinic for about an hour. I spent some more time in the clinic and lab observing the prosthodontists crank out dentures for thankful patients.

I took the Sitka bus to the ferry terminal. The bus isn't really a bus though, it's more like a tiny little shuttle van. At while there is a set route, bus drivers are friendly and willing to take you anywhere you want to go. For $2 you can ride for as long as you would like. I miscalculated how far it was to the ferry terminal and ended up arriving very early. This turned out to be even more of a problem as the ferry coming from Juneau was late. Not a good combination.

I did meet another Americorps volunteer who is in Juneau working on HIV prevention. She works in the hostel in Juneau and in return the hostel is housing her for free. All she has to do is spend a couple of nights at the front desk. It was nice to have someone to talk to on the ferry. We met a group from Europe who were backpacking all throughout Alaska. They had these huge 30 pound packs, tons of pictures, and lots of stories. It helped the time pass quickly on the ferry.

Dr. Hort and her daughter were waiting for me when I got off of the ferry in Juneau and took me over to the Ray's house to pick up my stuff. When I walked in the door Mrs. Ray dropped everything and gave me a huge hug. Apparently the last time they had gone out of town the house-sitter had left a bit of a mess. I had run the dishwasher, vacuumed the floor, and washed my linens before leaving to Sitka so it was a nice surprise for her to come home to a nice, clean house. As my friends and roommate can attest to, I am pretty good at keeping things neat and clean. I said my final goodbye to Sky and then headed back to the dorm.

On the way back to the dorm Dr. Hort's six year old daughter was explaining to me how she was scared of how fast the pitching machine pitched the softball and that she was afraid to stand in the batter's box. I told her about the time I faced a pitcher who threw in the mid 90's and suddenly her pitching machine didn't seem so bad. She laughed at me when I told her that I play softball because in her mind softball is just for girls.

When I walked back into my apartment there were two guys hanging around the kitchen table. It appears as if my days of having the dorm room to myself are over. As it turns out, the guys I will be living with are really nice. The are both doing an internship with U.S. Forest Services and will be here through the middle of September. One, Dan, is a student at Humboldt State University in California, and the other, Will, had graduated from the University of Minnesota. They are both around my age and really into fishing, hiking, and biking (I guess you have to be to do an internship with the Forest Services) so I'm thinking we'll get along pretty well. We have a fourth roommate coming tomorrow. He is from Knoxville, TN so it'll be nice to have a fellow country music fan in the house.

It's been a long day and I have to get up early tomorrow to get to the OB clinic by 8 to continue my interviewing. Off to bed...

**New pictures of the ferry added**

No comments:

Post a Comment