Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 32 - Doh!

I met my fourth roommate today. I think I can do any accurate job of portraying how well we will get along based on the following story. I was sitting eating dinner watching Game 7 of the NBA Finals between the Lakers and the Celtics. Even in Alaska, where they have no professional sports, there were people on the bus betting whether Kobe Bryant or Paul Pierce would have a better stat line. So that kind of sets the tone for how big of a game it was.

Ian, the new roommate, sits down next to me and asks who is playing. I said, "Lakers and Celtics. Game 7. NBA Finals." Nothing. Not even a trace of recognition. I guess I shouldn't be quick to judge, but anybody that knows me knows that the quickest way to get me started is talking sports. There could be some long awkward breakfasts and dinners upcoming if Ian doesn't learn about the importance of the double switch or the sacrifice fly pretty quickly. Besides his lack of sports acumen, he seems like a pretty nice guy. He goes to Western Kentucky University and wants to be a meteorologist. He is working as an intern for the National Weather Service as part of a program that guarantees jobs to those who work a certain number of hours in the same city. Essentially, it is the equivalent to Vanderbilt's early acceptance program to their medical school. As long as he works this summer and next, he is guaranteed a job after he graduates.

Other than the roommate excitement, today was pretty similar to last Thursday. I spent the day in the OB clinic interviewing and surveying patients for my education material. I also spent some time compiling the long list of phone numbers from patients who missed appointments who I'm going to have to call all day tomorrow.

Also, after about a week of hiding, the sun reappeared today. I took advantage and went on my first really good run in a long time. There is a race on Saturday morning that I am thinking about running in if I can find a ride to the starting line. I think that summer classes have begun at UAS because there is a lot more activity on campus than before. I see more kids hanging out in the lodge and around the other dorm buildings. I met a girl from Kansas City today who is a full-time UAS student. And I think it's a hassle to get from Nashville to St. Louis for Thanksgiving...

Tomorrow I am waking up early with another one of my roommates to watch Team USA in the World Cup. I know nothing about soccer, but for some reason the World Cup feels like something you shouldn't miss (even if you have to wake up at 6 AM!).

One more day until the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment