Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 37 - Haines, AK Day 3

Woke up early and headed to the clinic today. I spent the morning making the usual phone calls and patient interviews. Nothing really exciting or out of the ordinary. I am getting close to 80 phone interviews and hopefully I can push to about 140 or 150 before I wrap things up. It's tiring work but I think that the report I submit at the end will make it all worth it.

On my way to work I stopped by Mountain Market to have that "best cup of coffee in Haines". It was pretty good, but I'm not much of taste critic anyway. I ate lunch at Fireweed, a small bakery right near the dental clinic.

In the afternoon I took off and watched the Cardinals game. After the game, I went running again with Marnie and Leslie. The three of us ran out to Battery Point which overlooks the Lynn Canal and back towards downtown Haines.

I came back to the Cone's home and helped prepare dinner - steaks, salads, and potatoes. It was nice to sit and have a home-cooked meal while sitting around an actual kitchen table. It's funny to think of the little things that you miss when you are away from home.

After dinner we went out onto the boat to pick up our crab pots. It would have been fun, except it was pouring down rain. I guess I take the warm weather in the Midwest for granted, but if the people of Southeast Alaska took a day off every single time it rained nobody would ever get to spend time outside. We did catch a couple of crabs but decided to throw them back. There is an illness called PSP, Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning, that people can get if they eat certain bottom feeders which can trab certain algae in their systems that are toxic to humans. A man from Haines recently died from a suspected case of PSP, so people are not supposed to be eating crabs from the Lynn Canal until further notice. Since I am not a huge seafood fan anyway, that was all I needed to hear to sway me from even considering trying crab or other shellfish.

Tomorrow will be another early morning since Team USA plays at 6 AM. Stefan and I are going to get up and watch in the morning. A win and the team advances to the round of 16. Should be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment